Thursday, June 28, 2007

Two More Brag Books Complete...


I can't believe that it's taken me so long to complete these two books hat are now available in my etsy shop! Believe me, custom orders are completed very timely and take priority over all other art projects. But stocking my etsy store with books as I'm able seems to have taken way longer than I thought it would now that it's summer and I'm not teaching. I envisioned myself completing a book a day over the summer! We have however been busy with storytelling bliss last week (and the few weeks before with preparations) at Vacation Bible School and ending with a Roswell Magnolia Storytelling Festival last weekend. Our almost daily trips to the neighborhood pool have been fruitful for the twins and big sis and their swimming skills! Also, doctor's appointments (dentists, orthodontist, eye drs., etc.) have taken up their fare share of time. We are making the most of this summer though I suppose!

Last post I showed 3 paste papers and only have 2 books to show this post because I just didn't care for the third paste paper after it was glued to the bookboards - not centered right or something. Trying to save it with more paint didn't produce results either, so it's been set aside with others that haven't quite passed the test of my liking!

5 comments:

Shelly McC said...

Great art here. I will visit often! Love seeing your little artists work too. Great stuff!

Shelly McC said...

Your handmade books are stunning! I love to make my own art journals but then I hate to mess them up by using them!!

Anonymous said...

beautiful as always Kristin.

Might I ask, how do you hand decal (sp?) the edges.

i have made one album, where I cut down the paper from a large sheet, and it was so time consuming. Do you buy the precut watercolour paper, or the large sheets and cut it down? And then, is there a special tool to hand decal?

Thank you

Traci

Kristin Saegaert said...

Thanks for your kind words about my books! In response to your question about the hand deckling - I purchase the large sheets (22"X30") of watercolor paper and cut/tear it down to the appropriate page size. The only tools I use to do this are a large metal straight edge (yard stick) and a small paint brush. I measure where I want to cut/tear, place the straight edge where I want it, then paint a line of water against the straight edge to weaken the paper. Then I tear. Now that I've deckled so many pages it really seems more time consuming to have to cut the edges!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Kristin. i tried hand deckling last night. It was trickier than i though it would be! Not sure if i'm using too much water, not enough, or maybe forcing the page up against the straight edge too much (ending up with an edge that looks, well, torn, not deckled). anyway, i had a few successes. I am hoping to start a blog soon (i swear). And i'll be sure to let you know where i am so you can see my progress.